Academic Technology Specialist
Job ID 24208
Location School of Professional Studies
Full/Part Time Full-Time
For over 15 years, the CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS) has been leading online education in New York. Notable for offering the most online bachelor’s and master’s degree options at the City University of New York, and for serving transfer students as the University system’s only undergraduate all-transfer college, CUNY SPS meets the needs of adults who wish to finish a bachelor’s degree, progress from an associate’s degree, earn a master’s degree or certificate in a specialized field, and advance in the workplace or change careers. The School’s growth has been remarkable, with twenty-four degrees launched since 2006. Enrollment has risen by more than 30% in the last four years to over 4,000 students in the credit-bearing programs. Thousands more are enrolled in non-degree and grant-funded workplace learning programs. In addition, the School has an active alumni network and has established the CUNY SPS Foundation, which offers multiple scholarship opportunities to current students. CUNY SPS has consistently been named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top online institutions. This year, the School was ranked #10 in the nation on the publisher’s list of the 2022 Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs
CUNY SPS is seeking an Academic Technology Specialist to support SPS and CUNY Online, CUNY’s new in-house Online Program Manager (OPM). CUNY Online is being incubated and managed by CUNY SPS to leverage SPS’s 15+ years of innovating how online experience is delivered in higher education. CUNY Online will be the primary provider of feasibility, design, development, marketing, training, and support of CUNY online programs across the entire University system.
Please note that this position is funded through June 30, 2023, with the possibility of reappointment should funding be extended.
Reporting to the Instructional Design and Multimedia Manager, the Academic Technology Specialist will assist with the development and implementation of high quality online courses that facilitate achievement of student learning outcomes. In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, duties include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and support use of academic technologies such as VoiceThread, Collaborate, Zoom, and Panopto
- Assist with technology and multimedia tool selection, procurement, administration, and integration with the LMS or other systems
- Assist with the development and delivery of faculty training and workshops in multiple modalities;
- Provide support to faculty in designing and implementing online courses to ensure the highest quality in online learning
- Design and deliver media and technology solutions to meet pedagogical needs
- Provide video production support, as needed
- Manage WordPress website and other communication channels
- Keep current with research and developments in the field of online learning.
- Perform LMS and academic applications administration functions as required.
- Commitment to campus values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Until further notice, work will be performed in a hybrid manner with 70% onsite presence. All CUNY employees must reside within a commutable distance to the tri-state area.
- As of April 1, 2022, employees in select titles must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless granted a religion accommodation or a medical exemption.
Bachelor’s Degree and four years’ relevant experience required.
The preferred candidate will have:
- Instructional Design/Technology certification;
- At least 4 years of experience as instructional or academic staff in an educational or education-related environment;
- Experience supporting the design and delivery of online content in higher education;
- Experience in media content design and delivery in higher education.
- Familiarity with multimedia formats and multimedia production and hosting workflows, experience with video production.
- Expert knowledge of learning management software, preferably Blackboard, and other instructional technologies
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering training and support in multiple modalities;
- Strong and effective interpersonal and communication skills with diverse constituencies;
- Familiarity with accessibility standards and universal design principles, experience with web accessibility and UDL in online education;
- Attention to detail and ability to work independently and collaboratively in project planning, implementation and assessment.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Supports and consults with faculty, students, and others in the use of instructional systems, software, and programs. – Provides day-to-day support for users of instructional systems – May supervise a College help desk related to academic technology, supervising and training staff – Designs, develops, and delivers training and orientation sessions on the use of instructional technologies – May serve as an administrator and/or account coordinator for one or more systems – Assists in demonstrating the practical application of computers and communications technology for classes and workshops for faculty or students – May track problem reports, troubleshoot reported issues, and document resolutions – Performs related duties as assigned. Job Title Name: IT Academic Technology Specialist
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience up to $73,985. CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit CUNY.JOBS and search for this vacancy using Job ID # 24208 or Title. From our job posting system, select “Apply Now”, create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information.
- Applicants must attach a resume and cover letter.
- Applicants must respond to the screening questions for this position.
May 24, 2022
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.